Sunday, November 1, 2009

Book Review: Buddhism for Beginners

Buddhism for Beginners"In answering the most basic questions, this book will help new practitioners dispel confusion and gain a realistic, down-to-earth approach to the Buddhist path..."  Alexander Berzin, The Berzin Archives

I think that quote sums up my feeling on this book that I have gone back to numerous times during my fledgling practice.  Ven. Thubten Chodron's explanations are concise and easily accessible.  The book is an overview of all the central concepts involved in Buddhist practice.  The book's question and answer format makes it very easy to return to again and again for answers I was unclear on.  I find myself using it to answer questions that non-Buddhist ask of me because she explains the answers in such simple but thorough manner.  This book was recommended to me when I first started investigating Buddhism.  Since then I have found great wisdom in Ven. Thubten Chodron books and online resources.