Sunday, November 15, 2009

Book Review: The Art of Happiness

The Art of Happiness, 10th Anniversary Edition: A Handbook for Living
What else needs to be said about a classic?  This book literally changed my life.  When I first read the book I was in a really bad spot in my life and need to "change my perspective" and sure enough this book that me how.   The 10th chapter of the book is entitled "Shifting Perspective".  His Holiness explains his philosophy on perspective as such "The ability to look at events from different perspectives can be very helpful.  Then, practicing this, one can use certain experiences, certain tragedies to develop a calmness of mind.  One must realize that every phenomena, every event, has different aspects.  Everything is of a relative nature."  He goes on to explain that allowing our perspective to be so narrow and self-center just furthers our problems and doesn't allow us to see solutions.

The book, in my opinion, is required reading for anyone.  It isn't a Buddhist book, its a wonderful self discovery book written by a psychiatrist and a monk.  Their discussions are incredibly relevant to our busy, over-loaded society where issues of anxiety, depression, anger far outweigh those instances of true sublime happiness.  We all need to learn this Art of Happiness.